Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Nutrition Doesn't Have To Be Ugly :)


Sooooo.... in the interest of trying new things and getting out of my comfort zone, I dove into the world of green smoothies. Head on.
 
I followed some basic guidelines from a respected fitness buddy:  3-5 CUPS of spinach, water, ice, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and fruit. She cautioned against blending too much, "unless you want juice". She also suggested using lemon juice to bring out flavors. I didn't have any lemon juice, so I skipped it, and I used the only fruit I had: an orange.

It was NOT.SO.DELICIOUS. Not at all. I managed to drink half the glass. I will admit that it tasted "fresh", just not good.

And I decided that chunky smoothies are not for me. :)

"Green smoothie" take two:
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
A handful of frozen blueberries
A handful of frozen cherries
1 kiwi, sliced and peeled
1 tsp honey
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
one HANDFUL of spinach
3-4 ice cubes

I'm still wanting to decrease the amount of sugar. The only reason I used BOTH cherries and blueberries is because of their pigmentation. They're great at disguising the spinach.
I'm pretty sure I could get away with serving this to my kids. (If I had kids, that is.)
I'll keep working to refine it, and maybe, someday, I'll be ready for full-on "Hulk Juice". In the meantime, I'm just jazzed to be getting more greens in my day, in a totally tasty way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment