Friday, January 20, 2012

Punch it, Margaret!




I don't quite know what's come over me.  Suddenly, and seemingly out of nowhere, I am feeling sassy, saucy and ...... FED UP. To be honest, I felt like I was one car crash away from a Kathy Bates moment (ala Fried Green Tomatoes):

"In the quintessential display of strength, Evelyn rams into a car, six times no less, that steals a parking space for which she had been patiently waiting. When Evelyn tells the two girls who get out of the car that she had been waiting for the space, they scoff at her saying, "Face it lady. We're younger and faster." Evelyn, furious, punches the gas pedal to the floorboard and rams their car. When they run out of the grocery store screaming, "What are you doing? Are you crazy?", Evelyn blithely replies, "Face it girls, I'm older and I have more insurance." Driving away victoriously, she has become the great Towanda." 
 (Source: http://www.americanpopularculture.com/archive/film/towanda.htm)

I've noticed some eerie parallels between Evelyn's transformation and my own. Like her character, I'm cutting back on the junk food, feeling empowered through exercise (how I love to hate Jillian Michaels) and yes, beginning a career selling cosmetic products (she sold Mary Kay, I'm selling body wraps. Hello!?!?). If I'm not mistaken, there's a scene in the movie where Evelyn wraps herself in saran wrap to entice her distracted husband. So this is a bit of a stretch, but I have wrapped myself in saran wrap a few times in the past months (not to seduce my spouse, but to adhere said body wrap). It's a weird parallel, but a parallel nonetheless. 

My inner Towanda has spoken. She says that it's time to set boundaries. And stick to them. 

To be honest, my inner Towanda is freaking me out a little. (Perhaps I should purchase more auto insurance...)

No comments:

Post a Comment