Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Behold the turtle...

"Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out." - James Bryant Conant
Yesterday, I did something that would have totally freaked me out even a week ago. I went solo to my tattoo appointment, and in doing so, conquered a fear or two. This might seem small, but the significance is not lost on me. In my lifetime, I've wasted many opportunities to grow, change, and experience different things because I was afraid. That being said, I have also experienced great rewards by taking great risks.

My most rewarding risk in recent memory was to believe in myself. To view myself as capable, strong and worthy. You might wonder what's risky about that. The answer to that question is rooted in events in my past. I'm so thankful that I have finally discovered, truly, the power of living in the present.

So... back to my ink. ;)  It represents the honu (Hawaiian green sea turtle). The honu are known for being excellent navigators.  They are protected and have few predators. They honu live long lives and are symbols of longevity. I see them as gentle, knowing creatures living harmoniously with creatures of land and ocean. I see them as symbols of peace, and I love that they truly must stick their necks out to move forward. I chose this graphic because of the graceful "brush stroke" look... the top flippers remind me of angel wings... the body, reminds me of a heart.

Speaking of hearts, mine is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment