Sunday, October 7, 2012

What changes with a weight loss of 72 pounds?


Weight loss is much much more than a physical process. Sure, the way you look changes:
Me, pushing 190 (at 5'4")

October 2012 at 115 pounds

But I think there even more internal than external changes. Some of the things that seem different to me: 
  • The way I think about food. Culturally, food is the social "glue" that brings people together. There are endless excuses to indulge at any given moment. But food is fuel for the body. There's an entire scientific process happening once the fork hits the mouth. It's not so mainstream, but I'm starting to think about things like digestive enzymes, and alkalinity vs. acidity and healthy gut flora. Yeah, sexy. I know. 
  • The way I think in general. I've more or less always tried to fit in with the crowd. I used to base my choices and behaviors on what people around me are doing and / or what other people would think of me. The better you blend in, the "safer" you are. Or so I thought. I've recently discovered there's little safety to be found in the mindless actions of the herd. Anonymity, yes. Invisibility, sure. Safety, not so much. In fact, following the crowd to the exclusion of your own intuition could lead you down the road of destruction. This last experience has shown me that I need to follow my own path. I may not know where I'm going, but if I take the time to go step by step, I cannot fall from a cliff. 
  • The way I feel. As you can see from the first photo above, I had genuinely happy moments. Of course a person can be overweight and be happy at the same time. But did I feel free? Not really. When my digestion is functioning properly, and I'm able to exercise - I feel strong and free in a way I've never known before. I trust my body, which leads to trust in myself on every other level as well. 
No doubt there are more changes, but these have been some of the key shifts. What about you? What changes have you noticed (inside and out) as a result of weight loss? 

And now, on to.... 

a Lifestyle update: 
I'm looking forward to getting my workouts started again. Yesterday I got a pretty solid calorie base in and my digestion seems to be on track. Still doing great with lots of water, and I had a restful, stress free weekend. 

a Nutrition update: 
Yesterdays' breakfast: Green goddess smoothie (coconut milk, avocado, cucumber, spinach, bluberries)
Yesterday's lunch: Ensure chocolate shake with 25 g protein and tomato basil soup
Yesterday's snack: A few bites of roasted chicken 
Yesterday's dinner: 1/2 avocado and a handful of cherry tomatoes sprinkled with goat cheese and drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette; 1 slice kabocha squash; a tofurkey italian sausage. 
Yesterday's dessert: a ginger chew and 3 squares of dark chocolate. 
I had plenty of water all day long. A totally yummy, nutritious day. Win/win!


No comments:

Post a Comment