Sunday, September 16, 2012

One day at a time.

My weekend took an unexpected turn as early as Friday afternoon. I don't want to go into detail now (I might cry) but we had to say goodbye to our kitty, Darby. It was one of the hardest, saddest things I think I've ever done. I may share more about this later, and I may not. It may be too fresh, my heart too raw. All I know is I love and miss her. 


The weekend, not surprisingly, was different. I went to Beach 69 with Beth and enjoyed re-charging in the sun. Life is so fragile and precious. I certainly am in a place of taking stock of my blessings. We had a great time - sparkling turquoise water and white sand - the sky, vibrant and blue. A quick trip to Costco followed - my first time in there. I'm in love with that place! A 35 pound bag of dog food, 2 cartons of berries and a pair of cozy sweatpants later, we were in the car headed home. 

Crohn's-wise, I felt pretty good for most of the day. Snacks included a hard boiled egg, cashews, pumpkin kernels, some weird soybean crisp thingies (probably not a repeat for me), and a bit of chicken breast.  By the time we got to Costco I started feeling funky and I knew that if i could just lie down in bed, or strike a yoga pose or two, I could probably relieve my discomfort pretty quickly. Since those options weren't really available, I went into my "grin (or grimace) and bear it" mode. On a pain scale, it was probably a 6 or 7.  I ended up super nauseous on the ride home. Not quite "pull over! i need to hurl!!!" nauseous, but close. Once I got home, I stretched out in my new fluffy pants, some of the gas escaped, and all was good again. 

If anyone's actually reading this: I feel the need to apologize every time I refer to gas or bodily functions, but in all honesty, it's a daily reality for a person with Crohn's. It's a challenge to write about because it violates all rules of polite conversation. And yet, this is me. It's the life I'm living. It took me 90 some posts on this thing to get this real. It's an experiment in authenticity, I guess.

 All things considered, it was a good day. My life is full and I am blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment