Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A loner Crohn'ser?

Man. When I decided to start writing about what it's like to live with Crohn's Disease, I didn't realize how truly exposing that could be.  Of course my family and close friends know a bit more of the details, but only V really knows what it's like, as she sees the daily ups and downs.

I do my best to move through life without letting this condition have a hold on me. I don't want to be someone defined by illness. In fact, it's very important to me to be defined by wellness. And this, I suppose, is why I'm writing about it now. 

I think it's important to finally face that it is what it is. No more, no less. It's something I'm still learning how to manage and deal with. I can be proud of myself for that. 

It's crazy, but I don't think I've ever (knowingly) met another person living with Crohn's. How, in the course of 14 years, is that possible? As they say, like attracts like. Maybe I subconsciously avoided any such connections because I refused to identify as unwell. I didn't want to meet anyone with this condition. I didn't want to be able to relate about painful, embarrassing things.  But the truth is, it's a little lonely. Like I said, V knows as much as another person can know, by observing, what it's like when I'm having a flare. But watching someone ride a roller coaster is different than being strapped into the seat. 

Enough on the psychological aspects for one day. On to the physical. I feel pretty good! Digestive function seems to be working. If I'm going to be honest, it wasn't the best digestive day ever, but I'll spare anyone from reading the details. No exercise, no peppermint oil capsules, but plenty of water. 

Food: I'm trying to really truly eat for better health. It's a challenge in our society, which has come to prize "food" that is mean to our insides. One day at a time, right? All things are possible, one step at a time. 


Today's breakfast (above). Dry curd cottage cheese (also known as Farmers Cheese) which has probiotics in it. Drizzled with a bit of honey. 2 eggs, topped with colby jack cheese and sriracha hot chili sauce. 

I may begin posting more meal pictures, if it's not a giant pain in the ass. Might help me become more aware of the relationship between what I'm eating and how I'm feeling. 

On that note, I'm off..... there's a beautiful day waiting to be lived. 

In gratitude, 
XO. 

No comments:

Post a Comment