Friday, February 10, 2012

My Shadow

My shadow wears
                                                           tank tops
 flip flops
 yoga pants 
and she knows the order of things
her hair like octopus arms
 My shadow is a sneaky ninja
free like the wind 
rooted like a tree
 a taller, lighter version of me.


This week has been a mixed bag. I guess that's what life is though, right? "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." God bless Forrest's mama. 

On Monday I posted about how great the day had been, how productive I felt. I knew better than to expect ponies and rainbows all week, but I was caught off guard when I heard of the sudden death of Theo, a family friend. Theo is a bit younger than my parents and was a fixture of my childhood. We're distantly related, and I always thought of him as a friend. The kind of person you love because you want to, not because you have to. 

Of all people, I know how precious life is; how everything can change in an instant. (See my previous post - The World Breaks Everyone). Just when you think you're unshakeable, something happens that shakes you to your core all over again. 

Thinking about how short life is... I realized I didn't want to waste another minute of my afternoon. I stole off to the beach, my happy place, and I went for a swim. My perspective is always deeper, broader, different when I am in the water. I dried off in the sunshine, only half caring that I was playing hooky to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment