Sunday, February 12, 2012

Missing her already.

The scene in our home today: I was browsing Facebook and saw a status update.  I called to V in disbelief "they're saying Whitney Houston died - I have to see if it's true" and before my sentence was finished, the phone was ringing. V said "I bet that's Jen now calling to tell me". Jen was at the bar in Iowa, and saw it scrolling across the tv. 
She called to see if V was okay. 
V was that kind of Whitney fan. 

It's not surprising, then, to learn that Whitney has been the soundtrack to our 7 plus years together. She's a die hard fan of "Old school Whitney" and I rallied around her comeback CD. Every few months we have a few too many bottles of wine and end up dancing in the garage to our favorites, leaving the CDs out, knowing it wont be long before we "just wanna dance with someone" again. 

It's amazing when I stop to think about it. Her music was truly woven into the fabric of our lives. My earliest Whitney memory was crooning (off key, of course) as a 4th or 5th grader to "The Greatest Love of All". My friend Camron had taped it off the radio, and we listened to it over and over. In the innocence of my childhood, I couldn't begin to grasp the true beauty of that song. 


"Greatest Love Of All"

I believe the children are our future 


Teach them well and let them lead the way 


Show them all the beauty they possess inside 


Give them a sense of pride to make it easier


Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be 


Everybody searching for a hero 


People need someone to look up to 


I never found anyone to fulfill my needs 


A lonely place to be 


So I learned to depend on me 

[Chorus:]


I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows 


If I fail, if I succeed 


At least I live as I believe 


No matter what they take from me 


They can't take away my dignity 


Because the greatest love of all 


Is happening to me 


I found the greatest love of all 


Inside of me 


The greatest love of all 


Is easy to achieve 


Learning to love yourself 


It is the greatest love of all 

I believe the children are our future


Teach them well and let them lead the way 


Show them all the beauty they possess inside 


Give them a sense of pride to make it easier 


Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be 

[Chorus]

And if by chance, that special place 


That you've been dreaming of 


Leads you to a lonely place 
Find your strength in love


It's remarkable that a woman who entertained us at the ages of 10 and 13 still brought joy at 35 and 38.    From the 80's hits, to the Bodyguard, to club music, to her comeback CD, it all has a place in our hearts. 
In my favorite songs, she's singing about LOVE. And maybe that's why we will always love her. 





No comments:

Post a Comment