Friday, June 15, 2012

Which is worse?

Which is worse: failing or never trying?

The old me would have said "failing". For a long time I kept myself confined to a box, one that only allowed me to do things that I would be good at. At a glance it seems like a good idea, after all, if you only do things you excel in, you don't have to look bad in front of anyone. You don't have to risk rejection or failure. But you also don't get to grow. Therein lies the problem.

I'm glad I realized this, and made some changes in my attitude. I don't live in that box of perfectionism any more.

These days, I put myself out there more often than not. I still get anxiety sometimes at the thought of trying something new and failing, but I've learned not to let that hold me back.

This blog is a great example. I'm new to the blogosphere, and I don't really know what I'm doing.  I don't have fancy graphics, a large following, a bunch of sponsors or a catchy format. But I do have fun when I sit down to write. I enjoy taking the time to ponder and probe the corners of my brain. On this journey of discovery, I have learned that I do, after all, have something to say.

Who knows if this will ever be a "real blog". It matters not. What matters is that I'm doing it.

What do you think? Is failing worse than never trying at all? 


No comments:

Post a Comment