Wednesday, June 6, 2012

On Office Dynamics

WHAT WORKS FOR YOU? 

For almost three years now, I've had the freedom of "working from home". There are many benefits to this setup, but the best part is freedom from "office dynamics".

This is my second "work from home" job and let me tell you, I'm grateful! Office environments, even ones with good leadership, can become toxic. Stuffy. Soul crushing. They bring out my inna-gangsta:

Scene from the movie "Office Space"
It's not a huge leap to put me in the picture above, after just one week of desk time. Constant exposure to workplace ick makes me want to break shit. Or slice tires. (Consider that this confession is coming from a generally nice person, who happens to be nicknamed "Sunshine". )

Marinating in other people's energy, hour after hour, day in and day out is distracting, not to mention draining. Before I know it, I'm focusing more on my relationships with other people, avoiding bad energy, striving to create good energy....  and the work ends up being secondary.

This can only mean one thing: I'm allergic to office dynamics. Some people are lactose-intolerant. Some people can't do gluten. "Office sensitivity" is a self-diagnosis, but I'm willing to be there are millions out there suffering.

The cure? Personal space - and a lot of it.

I'm more productive and satisfied when left to my own devices to get things done. I crave the solitude and the mental space it affords me. In isolation, I can actually hear my own voice, tap into inspiration and harness good ideas. It works for me.

What about you? What environment works best for you? 





No comments:

Post a Comment